Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Voting Day

My idea to wake up really early to vote was thwarted only by my, having a late night watching Gazelle perform at the Assembly last night. What a creative act; their music seamlessly fuses different genres to create a mix of funk, disco,electro-house and African contemporary. Gazelle is exciting, fun and best of all they have a positive message behind their music. If anything, they definitely sent out some good vibrations to get me in the mood to wake up early and stand in a long queue at the voting polls.

As I stood in the line to make my mark in favour of the countries future, I was quite pleasantly impressed with not only the efficient experience; but also the number of young people getting involved to vote, in comparison with the last elections. With the rise of technology, I think that the Twitters, Facebooks, MySpaces, blogs and other social networking tools have helped to create awareness amongst the younger generation and have helped stir them to take action.

Obama’s campaign management in the States apparently saw the value of these new tools and word on the street is that they did well to take advantage of this and trigger the youth vote. If I were a politician, I would take heed and dedicate some resources to campaign through online and youth channels.

I digress, today is a big day and deterministically the decisions made will ultimately affect the countries future: for better or for worse. Cause and effect, if you will; lets hope that the general population took some time to think about why, what and who they were voting for rather than just following a popular trend.

To be honest I’m not so concerned about who people vote for, but more so the reason. Confidently, after seeing so many youths involved, I feel that the traditional streak of apathy in this South Africa has been broken and I am quite optimistic that the future of our county’s fate will be more secure.

No comments: