Saturday, April 4, 2009

Mos Def

Alejandro and I were chilling out at a coffee spot one day and struck up a conversation with an American guy sitting next to us. When we eventually asked what he was doing here in Cape Town he said he was in town to do a show, because he was a hip hop artist.

Not being big into the hip hop scene, we didn't really know who he was; and never in a million years did we think he was a big international act. He just seemed like your average ordinary Joe: soft spoken and down to earth. After a few more coffees and some more chatting, we left and didn't think anything more of it.

Today someone mentioned that Mos Def was playing at the Cape Town Jazz festival, after putting two and two together and checking out what he looks like on the internet, turns out the guy we were having coffee with was Mos himself.

I love it! It's awesome how a successful rapper/actor like Mos can be so receptive to chatting to random strangers. I guess at the end of the day stars are just people too, like you and me; regardless of how untouchable we think they may be.

1 comment:

Sandras said...

Benny, you met Mos Def!!?? OMG! He's the guy I was going to come to the Jazz Festival for! I love his music (obviously cuz I luv hip hop) and his acting. Next time you meet a hiphop artist of any sort, run his name by me. LOL! I might just rush there for a picture and autograph to send to my crew, my posse, my homies in my hood, knamsayin?

Nice one Benny!