Sunday, April 26, 2009

Parcel Parcel

I’ve been harbouring a care package from Josephine’s sister in Denmark to give to someone here in South Africa. I've had it for over a month now and finally delivered it. The reason it took me so long to get it to the intended recipient was because she doesn't actually live in Cape Town. So not only did I have to wait for her to be in town, but I also had to find some time out of my busy schedule.

During this entire period I’ve been wondering with great curiosity as to what exactly was in it. Due to the size and shape of the parcel it could have been anything, luckily there were no ticking noises otherwise I might have inferred a bomb. I had to endure a lot of self restraint not to open it, but in the end I was successful. I am proud.

The task of delivery was easier than expected. I’m not sure why, but my imagination had built up a scenario where I would be sitting at a coffee store waiting for her, but before intercepted the package, the police would arrive and try to arrest me for some dodgy dealings. I would however resist and run; the next thing a car chase would ensue. Eventually, I would have been cornered; but I would stand my ground and start a gun fight…

Seriously though, I had no idea who the person was or what she looked like, only that her name was Ilse and that I had to meet up with her at a certain time and place. As I waited anxiously at the coffee store, staring at every passer by who could have potentially been her, she finally revealed herself and I was able to make the drop with relative ease. I’m sure that package was just some girlie stuff; but if any one asks, I was delivering something of great importance, something that could perhaps have saved the entire human race even. I like the latter version way better...

No comments: