Monday, April 27, 2009

Ain't No One Normal No More...

What I've recently realized is that there are no "normal" people... "Normal" I've come to understand is a relative term. What's normal to you, may not be normal to me and I find myself all to often meeting people and asking myself "Am I the only normal person left in the world?" The truth is that we're all abnormal. I may not realize it but I'm probably pretty strange to most people myself.

You'll find that the people you consider normal are just normal because they are similar to you; either through interests, moral values or something else like proximity and culture. But these pockets of pseudo normal people are most surely strange to some other people.

Take a very simple thing like eating beef. I love beef, but to some people, like say my grandmother there is nothing in the world that could be more morally disturbing, growing up in the East where cows are revered and treated like members of the family, she considers eating them completely disgusting. It would be equivalent of someone here in the West killing and eating a puppy...

Even with a simple thing like just eating beef, one can easily see how other actions could be taken as being offensive to others. Considering that we are all individuals raised by families with slightly different values, it's not difficult to believe that something that one does could be alien to someone else. Normal means nothing. I'm abnormal, an individual and I have come to accept that.

No comments: