Saturday, May 2, 2009

Dueling Guitars

I spent most of the day jamming and dueling guitars with my friend. There's something very special about sitting around and being able to create music with someone else. Music is like a language; one has to understand what the other person is playing; their tempo, their rhythm and what exactly it is that they are doing. Once you've figured that out; you need to try fit in, compliment it and help make it sound good.

After a couple of hours of tinkling, and feeling each other out; we finally decided to collaborate and practice to get an entire song down pat. We decided to cover a song by Jack Johnson, G-Love and Donovan Frankenreiter called Girl I Wanna Lay You Down - after an hour or so I think we got it about 90% right, both the singing and the guitars; including a cool little guitar solo.

I had a lot of fun getting back into it, it's been a while; my fingers have taken a beating, the skin off the tip is coming off and my left hand is cramping from all the fretting and sliding, up and down the guitar...

No comments: