Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The End

365 days ago I started on a journey. I had just left behind a business that I had help start up and felt shattered. I had committed everything to it, moved cities, left my life behind; only to have it fall apart due to differences in opinions. I felt betrayed by it. I felt lost.

At that trying point in my life, I had a crazy idea that I wanted to write. The only problem was that I didn't know what to write about, so I began to devise an idea, it would become a commitment, a personal challenge; to write every day for an entire year. I wouldn't write about anything specific, just my thoughts and daily occurrences.

If anything it was for my own benefit, for the first time I was able to expresses my feelings in a tangible format, and it helped me to move forward. It made me realize that sometimes things don't work out, but there are always other opportunities- hope.

Soon I realized that with each subsequent entry, a story unfolded and if I stuck to it, I might even have a book. Not only that, I had a subtle marketing tool on my hands. You see; I liked finding new spots, eating out and frequenting cool hangouts; and often, I would find myself including these in my daily rants. As things progressed another idea unfolded, I wanted to append a directory listing of all the places I had visited, to the end of my journal; so that those who wanted to, could not only read about my experiences but follow in my footsteps too.

What I liked about it was that it was not fabricated material made up by marketing spin doctors. What was written had integrity, it was my actual every day experiences.

To every beginning there is an end and for this particular project, challenge, literary journey I've reached my destination. It's been a roller coaster ride, there have been many ups, but not without some devastating downs; I've recorded them all. It certainly will not be the last time I write - I still have too much to say, but for now I am done.

If you are reading this as a book, then I have been successful with the next challenge that I have tasked myself with; and if you are reading this in digital format then you have only just discovered the first phase of my plans...